Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Not Your Typical Guilty Pleasure

After an off the wagon dinner at Your Pie my husband said that he and the kids were going to go visit Pop Pop.  Since the kids don't have school due to Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and then are off school the following week for Spring Break, they were looking for something special to do on a Wednesday night.  At first I was a little sad that I was going to be going home alone...like I was punished in a way because I work for the public school system that doesn't "do" Holy Week.  

Once I got home, fed the dog, and let her out, I was done with my house chores.  Granted:  I could put the dishes in the sink in the dishwasher, change the beds and clean the bathroom in the guest room, tidy up in preparation for our couch delivery tomorrow...but no.  I decided to change out of my school teacher clothes and just go right into my pajamas.  Then, I made the most lovely decadent selfish decision!  I am currently plopped on my bed, two pillows under my head, two pillows under my knees, lap desk and laptop on my lap, remote to my right...watching the DVR.  The cherry on top is that I am watching last weekend's Martinsville NASCAR race.  "The Paperclip" is one of my very most favorite race tracks.



Fast forwarding through the commercials, I am not even going to feel guilty about this.  I even watched the actual race live and I know who the winner is but I'm still watching it, excited.  This type of racing is so fun to watch.  They bump and skid around like amateurs but I love this track.  "Boogity!  Boogity!  Boogity!  Let's go racin' boys!"  And how fun that Ryan Newman will be the winner!  He hasn't won a race in forever!  I get to root for him all the while knowing that he's the winner.  I know that the commentators will not be focused on "The Outback Car" but I know who the winner is and what to watch for.



I'll probably fall asleep before the race ends.  We joke that NASCAR is NAP-CAR but there is something just so wonderful about being in bed, listening to Chris Myers and DW.  It's like an old friend.  I may go weeks without watching, but there NASCAR is when I need it.  Part soap opera, part childhood memory, part hick...  Not your typical guilty pleasure on a "school night".

No comments:

Post a Comment