Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Girl Power

It seems that a lot of people that I know are dealing with some very heavy stuff:
My boss has had three loved ones die in about a month and a half.
A coworker's dog is dying.
I know three people (without even trying hard) whose husbands are out of work.
A friend has to undergo a medical treatment that makes her radioactive and keeps her away from her family.

I know the old saying that God will only give you as much as you can handle...some times I think ENOUGH!  But then I remember that I have some awesome women as friends.  

The above mentioned women are strong.  They are moms and sisters and aunts and nieces and daughters and wives and bosses and bread winners and fighters!  I am so proud to know these women! 

I hope that I am like them.  I hope that when things get tough that I am strong and face the challenge head on.  

(Dear God,
Please do not take that as a challenge.  I am simply saying that I admire these gals.
Amen.)

As I get ready for bed tonight, my ten year old daughter is in the next room, listening to music, playing with her ipod and stuffed animals, and snuggling with her dog.  I am proud of her too.  Although she doesn't have to worry about bills and grown up stuff, she does have a full plate at times.  She is learning to handle tasks with grace...but there have been some hellacious missteps along the way!  

Every night she has a zillion hours of homework to do.  Granted, if she paid better attention in class, she might not have as much to do AND if she'd just do the work instead of being chatty, she wouldn't have quite so many hours of work to do.  

Math:  Working multistep problems backward to find the original value of the number in the word problem, integers (positive and negative), plotting numbers on a graph...Eeww!

Literary Terms:  Oxymorons, idioms, metaphors, limericks, haiku...And I majored in English and teach writing for a living!  Blech.

Social Studies:  Ancient Roman wars...Whoa is me!

I bite my tongue and reiterate that she needs to beef up her study skills, pull up her average, plan ahead and go in during lunch and recess for more tutoring.  She is so good!  She tries so hard (most of the time).

My only wish for her is for her to have health and happiness.  She is in charge of some of the things that will make my wish come true.  

I hope that I am a good (enough) model for her to follow.  I love her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment