Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 20, 2012

Alone Today

What a wacky day!  My husband asked me to set my alarm and to wake him at 5:00 so that he could get ready for the charity golf tournament.  He agreed to play in this golf tournament before we knew that our son was sick.  Not wanting to make him bow out of his commitment, I stayed home from work to baby sit the strep throat patient.  It actually worked out fine with my testing schedule at school because today was reserved for make ups only.

So, he was up and out and I was still in bed.  Some how I fell back asleep and continued to sleep until 7:10.  The whole house kept sleeping, in fact.  I shouted out to my daughter to be ready for school by 7:15, which is the usual time that the kids have to be ready for school.  She was ticked at me!  "I don't want to get up.  I don't want to go to school today!  I'm too tired!" she hollered to me through her closed bedroom door.

Needless to say, I was now wide awake and prepared my rebuttal.  "Get up.  You've got five minutes to get ready and you don't make the decisions about school!"  Brat!

I made her and Nicholas a bagel, shoved her out the door to ride to school with the neighbors and got my boy set up in front of the TV for a day of medicine, rest, and movies.  She was so mad!  I'm not even sure if she said, "Good bye."  Brat!

Now, to tend to... (insert Gollum's voice here) "my precious".  He was feeling better and managed to choke down his medicine without any great drama.  We looked through all of the movies on Apple TV and he decided that what he wanted to watch was a Lego movie called "Clutch Power".  I sipped my coffee and began my normal routine of taking my own medicine and having my eggs.  (My darling husband had made them for me the day before so that they would be ready for me even though he was out golfing.)  I put on my  Fit Bit and started walking and eating.  I did laps around the dining room table and the kitchen island.

While my sickly little guy watched "Clutch Power", I read my Glamour magazine and wandered around the house.  Up the stairs, turn right into Summer's room and do a U-turn, exit Summer's room, turn right into my bedroom, then into the bathroom, turn around, exit my room, turn right into Nicholas' room and another U-turn, down the stairs, around the dining room table, around the kitchen island, back up the stairs...and on and on.  Some times I did extra laps upstairs or downstairs to log more steps.

Eventually I had to rest and since "Clutch Power" was over I sat with Nicholas to make some plans for the day.  We decided to go to Office Depot.  I wanted to look at filing cabinets for putting next to my desk and I wanted to look for a slant board for my daughter to use to help angle her books and writing materials.  Once we got there I put him in the shopping cart and wheeled him around while I looked and he played on his ipod.  I was unable to find what I was looking for.  Since Barnes and Noble is next door, we went there next.

I got a "fat free sugar free vanilla frap" which was actually kinda gross but at least it was something to hold and sip while I shopped.  Nicholas set himself up in the kids' section.  Our neighbor was also at Barnes and Noble so we chatted for about a half hour.  Nicholas started to look really shabby and asked to go home.

Once I got him in the car I started badgering him to eat.  He was not happy.  He hates to eat as it is and hates to eat even more that his taste buds are all whacked.  Burger King, Pizza Hut, Steak and Shake, PDQ,  Arby's, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Krystal, Five Guys...all on the way home and all with a drive through.  He was ticked at me for trying to get him to eat something but I figured the "Happy Meal" type food might perk him up.  He was almost in tears with frustration and finally agreed to McDonald's.  White knuckled, I drove through, placed an order for ONE Happy Meal and drove on.  Nothing for me.

Once we got home, I made myself some chicken salad with black olives, a bit of pesto, mayo, and a splash of hot sauce.  I only ate half of what I made and put the rest in plastic.  To give myself a little crunch, I had a handful of veggie sticks.  Then sucked down two huge glasses of Cyrstal Light lemonade while we watched "Percy Jackson".

Around 3:00, I checked my Fit Bit and only needed a little more than 1,000 steps to reach my goal of 10,000 by 4:00.  So, around and around I went.

As the day comes to a close, I am proud to announce...

I did it!  I did it!  I ate only the proper things, didn't binge and walked over 11,000 steps, 4.66 miles, and went up 11 flights of stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment