Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Segue and a Struggle

Ride a Segue!  That's something to add to my list.  I thought about that today on our way to dinner as we drove down Bayshore Blvd.  Now, that's a good one to add to the list.  I really want to do that!

Yesterday related to work:
I attended a meeting with all of the other writing teachers in the district.  We learned a lot of things, had some rich discussions about student pieces, but ended on an emotional note.  The Supervisor of LA for my school addressed us all and said something to the effect of the following...

"I know that you all think that in our Writing Review Meetings all we do is see the scores and not the actual kid and the progress that the kid has made...but...we do see the kid.  We see that no one works harder than you.  We know that you all do everything you can to grow these students as writers and we want to celebrate that.  No matter how the scores come back, we know that you all work hard and that each child has found their voice because of you.  Because of you, that child now has this powerful tool to express themselves for the rest of their lives.  Writing is an art form...BRAVO!"

She cried as she spoke to us from her heart.  I was proud of her, proud of our district, and proud of myself. No one gave her a standing ovation as she finished her rally cry.  =(  I gave her a hug on the way out though.

Today at work:
I ended the day with a tense conference.  I want to do what I think is best for kids...what I think will ultimately bring on success.  Today I felt bad for trying to do what I thought was going to be helpful.  Now, I'm confused.  Was my action correct but delivered at the wrong time?  Was my action the long over due action that was needed and wanted...but after such a long time of being told a different message, the other party wasn't really for the reality that there is an easy fix?  Is it easier to not fix something and just have that thing out there as the elephant in the room that no one talks about?  What should I do now?  Should I try to fix the situation that I was trying to fix?

If I go back to what my boss was saying, "Writing is an art form"...Do I just not "get it"?  As the instructor don't I want my students to be able to master their craft?  If there is an element that is getting in the way of the audience receiving the message, should the instructor guide the student to make their art more accessible?  Or should I not try to make the artist conform?  But this is a test of "standard written English"...  Not some wacky new age art show.

I have worked hard.  I am proud.  I did the right thing...(I think?)



No comments:

Post a Comment