Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 27, 2012

Being a Better Listener

Since I officially started actively doing one thing on my list, I'm frighteningly aware that this 45 under 45 list is going to be tougher than I originally planned.  I am working on being a better listener.  Sadly, today I noticed that I zoned out when someone was talking to me.  I purposefully had to engage myself in the conversation.  I was looking around the room, thinking of what else I needed to do today and then...La La Land.  Another time someone was talking to me about their adventures this weekend...I was distracted by another task and had to refocus.

Additionally, in the course of the day, I know that the following exchanges took place:
1.  A friend tried to share info about a new weather app.  I don't know what's so cool about that app.  I didn't even pay attention.  I started talking about the weather website I like to go to.  FAIL.
2.  A friend got a new address stamp and was proud of it.  It has her last initial in the middle.  I think it was a lower case.  Then, each member of the family has their name on the left side of the circle and the address is on the right.  Although the person who got the new stamp is a woman, she is pleased to know that her name comes first, then her husband, and then her kids.  PASS.
3.  A friend was talking about her kids.  Too personal to put on this blog but I think that I can recall the gist of it.  I'd say that's a PASS.
4.  My daughter was telling me about her math and grammar.  MAJOR FAIL.  I was 100% not engaged and had to make her restart.  I still couldn't follow along so I simply said, "I don't understand what you are talking about, go do your work."  Not only did I fail, but I also tried to pull the "Mommy Card" to cover up my lack of attentiveness.
5.  Also related to my daughter and yet another FAIL...  She told me to check her closet this morning because she had worked hard on reorganizing it last night.  I forgot.  Bad Mommy!
6.  I took off my wedding ring last night because I was pretending to be a glamorous starlet today and it didn't "match" my outfit.  My husband asked me to put it back on last night.  I was too lazy to get up and get it.  FAIL.  Then this morning he reminded me again.  I still forgot.  FAIL.  Bad Wifey!

This sucks.  I suck.  I have *GOT* to start being a better mom, wife, and friend.  We joke in my family that "It's Jen's world...we all just live in it."  Is that actually true?  Am I a diva, czar, bee-otch?  Eww.  This 45 under 45 thing just might make me see things about myself that I'm not entirely ready for.  {SIGH}  I will do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment