Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Good "LASHing"

I couldn't help myself with the title.

The letters in L.A.S.H. stand for Laparoscopic Supercervical Hysterectomy and I'm fixin' to get me one.  Seriously, though.  I've suffered long enough with wacky periods and I've done every other suggested technique and procedure but I've not had any relief.  The GYN said, "You just drew the short straw."  The saline infused sonogram I had done two weeks ago showed a fibroid, a polyp, and a thick lining of my uterus.  Luckily, the biopsy results are benign.  So, there's no urgency to scheduling this surgery other than my own timeline.

I'm at peace with the decision to have a part of my body removed forever more.  I was hoping that the doctor didn't want to do just another short term fix and I was hoping she also didn't want to take my cervix or ovaries.  Although this is not what I "want" to do, this is the best option for me for the long term.  The amount of time and energy that I have spent/wasted dealing with these issues has really added up.  With the possibility of more than 10 years until menopause, this is a procedure that simply is right for me.  So, that's a big weight off my shoulders.

In talking to friends and family about this, I have come to realize how awesomely lucky I am to have so many caring souls in my life.  I don't think of myself as a closed off person but I know I can be aloof at times.  This short experience has taught me a lot.  When I took the time to ask questions and really listen to other people, I learned I should do a better job of listening to others when they talk (even if its something I'm not particularly interested in).

Being a better listener is something I'm going to add to my list.  I think that I'll start that today.  My first official task from my "45 Under 45" starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment