Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sugru Mushrooms

My ever curious and inventive cousin told me about this stuff called "Sugru" that he ordered on the internet.  And then, graciously, gave me said package!  That was about two months ago.  It has patiently been waiting to be used...sitting in the garage refrigerator.  The instructions say that storing it in a refrigerator will increase the shelf life. 
 
At about the same time that I received the Sugru, two of my ceramic decorative mushrooms turned up beheaded...quite mysteriously, I might add.  (Feel free to fess up if you have any knowledge of the crime.)
 
And so, the day finally came when the Sugru and the mushrooms should meet.  (As you can see from the following picture, the mushroom caps and stems simply broke apart.)  I dumped out the contents of the Sugru package on my craft table in the garage and assessed the situation. 
 
 
 
 
The colors can be mixed to make the perfect shade but since the mending that needed to be done was out of sight...why bother?  Figuring that the red/orange tops seemed to match...just in case someone wanted to check my handy work..red it is!

I squished around on the dough while still sealed in the foil pack and then cut it open. The packet is about the size of a drive thru ketchup and one pack was enough for the two mushrooms.  I kneaded it around in my fingers for a minute or so and formed two balls and flattened them a bit to create a domed blob to reattach the tops.

Once I put the mushroom caps on the stems, I pressed the Sugru around to make a smoother transition...hoping this would also make the seal more secure.  Then, I set them to cure (in a box of sea glass) for the night.

The instructions say that the product will stain skin, but I didn't have a problem with that. 

The next morning, I grabbed the mushrooms by the stem and the seal held perfectly!  Now off to plant them back into the pots from whence they came.


Living in Florida and not wanting to spend a lot of time watering my plants, crotons and rosemary with cute mushrooms add a lot of color to my front steps with zero effort! 





 

It's been a few weeks since I fixed these up and the Sugru has held without any issue!  I even yanked around on the mushrooms, grabbing just the tops and there was NO wiggle.  Awesome stuff!

My next Sugru project will be to replace the rubber foot on our electric griddle.  I know the Sugru will be the perfect fix!

Mushrooms by:
JJ Potts Shroomyz

Mushrooms originally purchased at:
Bloom

For more information and TONS of additional ideas for the many uses of Sugru, click the following link:
Sugru

To see more of my sea glass jewelry, click on any of the following:
Garage Jewelry Girl on Facebook
Garage Jewelry on Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment