Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 9, 2012

People Who Cross My Path

As a teacher who is not responsible for a homeroom, I am assigned a duty at arrival and dismissal.  My job is to help people cross the the street at the exit of our parking lot.  I've been doing this job every day for the last four or five years.  In that time a lot of people have crossed my path...literally!

Some days on my way in to school I see a man who walks/jogs and I feel a special kinship with him.  We have the exact same hand weights, he's thick around the middle, chews gum, listens to an "old fashioned" headset with antennae, has braces on his joints, and just generally seems like every step is a chore.  He goes through phases with his exercise.  Some days I see him early in the morning when it is still dark, other days I see him on my way home from work, and I even see him in the late afternoon while I am out doing my own exercise.  I'm proud of him.  He works hard at walking/jogging and he is persistent...although not always consistent.

Then there's an older lady that I see who walks on Bayshore in the early morning.  She always has on a windbreaker, short shorts, and a newsboy cap.  She's there EVERY day...rain or shine.  Only once did I see her walking and holding the hand of an older man who I assume is her husband.  What I love about her most of all is that she picks up trash and carries it with her until she gets to the next garbage can.  I've never actually seen her face but I recognize her outfit and gait.  She doesn't know it, but she inspires me.

Almost every day at around 6:45 a.m. I see the following folks walking along Memorial Highway:  There's a Spanish guy who walks with a cane and talks on his cell phone; and a chubby Asian lady who wears a black and white checked jacket; a heavy Black man with baggy jeans who pushes a stroller with only one hand...

"The Church Man" crosses my path every day at about 7:25.  The Catholic church up the street from my school, has daily mass at 7:00, and he goes every single day.  Some days when it is rainy I see him in a car but other than that rare occasion, he walks.  He comments on our school marquee, acts flattered when I stop the cars for him, and notices when I've not been on my duty post.  I really don't know anything about him, but he is part of my daily routine.  He's shared with me that on certain days when a different priest officiates, he is "late".  I worry about him when he's not there by 7:35 or so.

I had planned on writing about people who cross my path since last week.  In fact, I had already even started writing this post, but then I didn't finish it.  But then...  I GOT A HIGH FIVE!

For ages I have felt that all people who are suffering through tough exercise should high five each other as they cross paths.  Forcing myself to run and fake enjoyment, I have made it my passive aggressive mission to wave or say "Hi" to all other exercisers.  I can't stand it when you are on a long stretch of sidewalk, seeing someone coming toward you, and then when we get close the person averts their eyes.  Grr!

My passive aggressive running acknowledgement has finally paid off!  This week I was suffering through the final mile of a terrible run* and an absolute stranger put up his hand and said, "You go, girl!".  We high fived as we went our different directions.  Finally!  Does that guy even know how awesome he is?  He made my day!!!

I am inspired to be more attentive to those who cross my path.  I want to be the person with the outstretched hand.

*The first mile I ran was 13:80's.  The second mile I walked and was 13:30's...FASTER than my stupid jogging!  *Sigh*  The third mile, which I ran, was the fastest mile at 13:20's.  How is that even possible?


No comments:

Post a Comment