Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Seccret

Prequel to this blog:  CLICK HERE

If you read yesterday's blog entry, then you know of my quest to find something interesting to watch on TV. Eventually I settled on "The Secret"  I typed up notes of what I was watching because I (sadly) like to take notes.  These are they:  (Isn't that so awkward?  "These are they."  It is the actual correct way to say it though and with all this FCAT Writing lowering the bar and dumbing down, I feel compelled to flex my grammar muscle.)

The intro began, all new age and Da Vinci Code-like.  Immediately, I felt like I had been sucker punched.  I thought this was a love story.  True.  Honest to God.  I didn't know it was going to be some gag me philosophical rant.  I've already paid for watching this, so there is no real reason to turn it off now.  Fine.

The following is a list of speakers:
Bob Doyle, Jack Canfield, David Schirmer, Dr. Joe Vitale, Lisa Nichols, James Arthur Ray, John Gray, Lee Brower, Denis Waitley, Mike Dooley, Marci Shimoff, John Assaraff, Bob Proctor, Marie Diamond, John Demartini, John Hagelin, Ben Johnson, Rev. Dr. Michael Beckwith, Morrise E Goodman, Hale Dwoskin, Fred Alan Wolf, Neale Donald Walsch

I typed in their names as they came up to give their portion of "The Secret".  I am embarrassed honest when I say that I do not know these people.  John Gray.  OK.  I know that one.  He's the Men Are From Mars... author.  My intention at the time of typing up their names was to look up these folks.  Who are these people?  Why are they qualified to know "The Secret"?  I bet they are a bunch of Anthony Robbins wannabes.

So, here's the secret y'all...

  • Be positive.  Think positive thoughts and put that energy out into the universe.
  • Make it your intention to have something small, like cup of coffee.  
  • Change your thinking to expect something good instead of dreading what you don't want to have happen.
  • Express gratitude.  It shifts energy to focus on all of the good things you have.  They shared a story about an example where the idea is to pick up a rock to put in your pocket to remind you to think of something that you are thankful for.  At the start of the day, place it in pocket.   And again, at the end of the day, think of things that happened that you are grateful for.
My son just earned a Boy Scout coin that relates to this very thing!  It's about doing good deeds or good turns.  The coin reads:  "Secretly transfer me to your right pocket each day after your good turn has been done."  And on the other side, "On my honor, I will do my best."  The Boy Scouts have been around for a long time and I put more faith in them than some "secret".  AND...the Boy Scouts encourage the kids to be "secret" about it, not to be a braggart.  Bravo BSA!

  • Don't focus on complaints.
  • When you visualize something the mind can't distinguish between the physical act and your thinking about it.  It creates the power of the attraction.  Don't think about it as something that will happen in the future, but something that is happening now.  The universe will make it happen.
  • Do this daily, but not as a chore.


At this point in the movie, I was thinking, "Fine.  OK.  That's nice.  I can do that."  But, this information isn't a "secret".  Oprah's been talking about this stuff since I last regularly watched her show when I was in college (1988-1992).  So, I tried to keep my focus and continue to keep my mind open.

Then, some speaker talked about the word "disease" and broke it down into "dis" and "ease".  When your mind or body are diseased it is because you are not at ease.  You cannot be unhealthy if you are at ease.  If you are not at ease, you will find it easy to become dis-eased.

Now, this is something that I believe in.  I really think that if your brain is all twisted up and tortured, then a lot of times, your body will send out signals that it is "sick" in some way.  I believe this, but I'm not always doing something to actively keep myself well.  So, I guess that is something that I need to work on.  Especially while recovering from surgery.

Back to the show:

  • Treat the universe like a catalog.  Select what you want, order it, put your energy toward getting that thing/goal and it will be yours.
  • Everything is made up of energy:  body, cells, molecules, atoms, energy.  Even under a microscope your body is an energy field.  We are an energy field operating inside of another energy field.
  • Decide what you want.  Believe it.  Believe it is possible.  Believe that you deserve it.  Trust that the universe will know how to manifest that.
  • Do not focus on something you don't have.  That will attract more of what you don't have. Change your thinking.  Focus on what you want.


So, the show is over and I feel a little bit more informed.  My life has not had some giant shift because of watching this movie, but I do like that "dis-ease" part.  It's kind of corny the way the word is broken apart like that, but as a lover of words, I think that is why I like that part.  It's simple but something that I never thought about before.

Also, I'm super proud of how the "Good Turn" coin relates to something said in this show.  My husband is the den leader and bought that coin for our son and the other kids in his charge.  I think that raising our young people to be doers of good deeds is more valuable than "ordering what we want from the universe" and then expecting it to happen.  In fact, I think that ordering what we want and then expecting it is what is wrong with our society.  How rude!  One has to earn these things and do that in "turn" with others.

So, "Secret"... zero, Boy Scouts...one!


No comments:

Post a Comment