Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Hospital Stay

Once I realized that I was in my room and out of surgery, I looked around and examined myself.  I had a new IV in my right hand, four incisions in my belly, a catheter, and anti-embolism stockings that alternated inflating like a massage.

At some point I was aware that my face was being washed off.  It was either my mom or my husband.  I figured that I must have been looking really bad and that I needed to be wiped down.  My eyes had some sort of Vaseline type goo on them and I rubbed my face.  That must have caused any lingering mascara to be smeared all over my cheeks, hence the wiping of the face.  I remember thinking, "This is weird.  I would not normally ever allow someone to just take a wet cloth and wipe my face, but oh well.  Whoever is doing this must be trying to be sweet and I must look really shabby.  Oh well...just go with it."

I recall asking about what time it was and that the time was around 2:30 or 3:00 and then asked for my husband and the kids.  They may have already been there but I don't know.  I'm not sure exactly what happened but presto they appeared.  Both kids entered my vision (I don't remember them walking into my room) and I was happy.  Still unsure of from where they came and about the time of day and school (they don't get out until after 3:00), I just knew that I was happy that they were there.

Was my mom there by herself before the kids showed up?  Did anyone visit me in the recovery room?  Did my husband go get the kids?  Who wiped my face?  Where did the kids come from?  What time was it?

I just couldn't put all the pieces of the puzzle together.  I remember letting the kids see my boo-boos and scooting over in the bed so that they could sit next to me.  At some point my mom was helping my daughter study for a test.  My mom was on my right and Summer on my left and they were talking over my body.  That was weird.  Then, Nicholas sat with me, actually he reclined in the bed with me.  (=

The kids explored around the room, opened the doors and cabinets, checked out the bathroom and I invited them to each take one glove to blow up and play with later.  A tech came in and took my vitals and I remember telling one of my kids to put their finger in the blood oxygen monitor.  Random.

I'm not sure when they left.  I remember my mom tying the tv remote to my bed and my husband telling me to call him whenever I woke up...no matter what.

I took pain medicine every three hours and also got my vitals checked every three hours.  That was nice because they came almost like a leap frog team one after the other instead of one coming every three and the other coming every four hours.

I called home after one of my nurse/tech checks.  I don't remember what I said or if I talked to anyone other than my husband but I know I talked to him.

Around 1:00 am the nurse/tech team came in and asked me if I was ready to move to a chair.  A chair?!  With a catheter?!  OK...Why not?  Everything is so out of the norm.  I think sitting in a chair at 1:00 am with a catheter is s super idea.  Right?  So, I called home to announce my daring adventure of sitting in a chair.  I talked to my husband who told me that he was sleeping with my son in our bed in my usual spot.  I guess that our conversation woke him up because Shawn put him on the phone.  "Are you OK, Mommy?" he faintly said into the phone.  My heart melted.  I don't think that I cried, but I might have.

Being able to call home knowing that my husband is a night owl was so nice.  I knew that he was there and he'd make me feel better.  I wasn't feeling bad or lonely per se, but just not right.  It's funny how a phone call can fill up your heart.  I'm not sure what we talked about, I just know that I was talking to someone and my husband was the someone that I wanted to talk to.  "I love you, Sposey."

No comments:

Post a Comment