Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 17, 2012

My brain is turning into mush!

So, I'm out of the hospital and recovering quite nicely.  I've watched a zillion hours of TV!  I didn't even know how much television there was out there to just suck up time and rot the brain.  Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, local news, Sister Wives, Duck Dynasty, Deadliest Catch, Chelsea Lately, some show about how there might be an "evil" gene that causes folks to become evil...  (I've stayed away from "Kelly" because I miss Regis.  I've never watched the Bachelor, Bachelorette, The Voice, Desparate Housewives, Kardashians, Glee...and I ain't starting now!)

I have, however, learned some interesting things.  The story of a guy who claimed to be the first to summit Mt. Mckinley (Dr. Fred Cook) and took a picture of himself at the top with an American flag...that was a fake.


Paul Revere was a silversmith.  Who knew?  There is a doctor in Tampa who is trying to help the very few kids with a reverse version of "Benjamin Button Disease".  Boys in some other country get their skin cut as a symbol for becoming a man.  These boys go through this and then have ashes and palm oil rubbed into their wounds to help them heal in the shape of alligator scales.  Then, they lie on their tummies in some fly ridden tent, with only twigs and branches as bedding.  (Makes my four hysterectomy incisions seems kind of lame.)  And that's about it.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually absorbed much that is of any real value.

I am getting reeeeeaaaallllllly tired of commercials.
Geico:  Brand A and Brand B....Barf!
"My car is making this weird noise.  Weee-ooooo!  Weeee-oooooo!"  I would like to take out the person who invented that line of commercial.  Do people really audition for being this actor?  Are they proud of their resume now that they are responsible for adding that obnoxious noise into people's homes and lives?
"Safe-Light Repair....Safe-Light Replace"
And the Scoops commercial!  Food should not be animated!  Food should not talk!  Food should not be turned into some sort of plastic animation!  Bags of chips should not walk, talk, or have any type of facial feature!
And don't even get me started with the catheter commercials!  Oh.  My.  God!!!!

So, after much television I decided that I needed to leave "TV" and watch some "Apple TV".  Apple TV is a way to watch movies (old and new), access YouTube, and TONS of other things...but I was looking for a movie to watch.  Starting with "popular" and "newly released" films, I clicked my way through hundreds of titles.  No.  No.  And...no.

So, I ventured into the "classic" film genre.  As an English literature major, I am quite embarrassed to say that I'm not a reader and classic films are an easy way to kind of cheat about getting that story line in my head.  But none of those really quenched my thirst.  I thought about "Cleopatra" with Liz Taylor, but I knew that was not what I wanted either.  Then, I came across "Clockwork Orange".  Hummm....Maybe?  I don't know a single thing about this movie but I know that it is one kind of a classic film that everyone is supposed to see at some point.  I clicked on the trailer.  I.  Couldn't.  Even.  Watch.  TEN seconds!  Woah.  That is NOT gonna work for me at this time!

Heart racing, I clicked over to the "documentary" section and began to feel a sense of calm wash over me.  Yep, this is it.  A documentary.  That is exactly what I was craving.  But, I didn't want to watch a sports star, or a movie star, or some sad thing, or Godly thing, or some music star thing...  So, again, without knowing anything about it, I settled on "The Secret".  I've seen this book cover:  the fake old fashioned leather looking journal with a big red wax blob and calligraphy type script writing.  Ok.  Fine.  I'll do it.  What's the flippin' secret already?

I like taking notes.  So, I figured, I'd open up an empty blog post and just use that as a place to type up my notes.  Thinking, this might actually turn into a blog entry.  But not really thinking that it would amount to anything.  That was a few days ago.  Tomorrow I will share my thoughts on...

No comments:

Post a Comment