Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Leaving Fairbanks

 
Another freakishly early wake up. My alarm was set for 5:00 because our bags had to be out by 6:00. Our airport was only about two miles away from our hotel.  The hotel arranged a transfer of our bags from outside our room to the airport shuttle.  So, since we were up so early and had nothing else to do, we had breakfast until it was time for our van to take us to the airport. 



Our bags have gotten progressively shabbier. When we left Tampa, all of our bags had all of their parts, straps, zippers, etc.  When we arrived in Vancouver, no problems. Getting on the cruise ship, no problems. But then, when we got our bags in Seward, I noticed that the handle on my bag was broken. The leather piece which was attached to the bag was intact and so was the actual handle. The metal ring that connected the two (which would seem like the stronger of the two materials) was not only broken, but missing. Oh well. Thrift store luggage, no matter the brand, is still thrift store luggage. I guess you get what you pay for. And $3.00 is pretty cheap for luggage. 
Yet another broken handle.

So, while in Seward, I repacked all my stuff.  Into the bag with the broken handle I put the things that I wouldn't need because the tour bus would store those pieces until we arrived in Fairbanks. Then, all I had to deal with was my carry-on and that was working fine and all my clothes easily fit in there. 

While we were still on the cruise ship, I consolidated our kids' stuff into one bag so that we could also store the "fancy clothes" until we might need them again in California. Good idea. Except that when we got to Fairbanks, the handle on Summer's bag broke. The leather was actually screwed and bolted into the bag part, but the bolt came undone and was hopelessly lost. Oh well.  No problem. The bag still rolled and no one really needs to use the handle in the top except the baggage handlers and Shawn when he loads the suitcases into the car. 

Then, as we were wheeling our bags out this morning, I lifted the extendable handle (used for rolling the bag) and it just pulled right out of the slides. The mechanism that anchored the telescoping part was made of plastic and...snap. This was the one bag we previously owned and paid retail for years ago.  So now Nicholas's bag has the handle that Summer's and mine are missing but his won't roll because there is nothing to grab onto. 

So, we limped into San Francisco.  Thank goodness our bags were checked through from Fairbanks to San Francisco and we didn't have to claim them at our layover in Seattle. Now, if they can make it in and out of our hotel and then survive the flight from California through Texas and in to Florida...we're good.

As a writing teacher and someone who is writing a blog, I am constantly proof reading. I proof kids' and adults' writing at school. In an effort to proof my own work, I am now constantly second guessing my use of capitals, punctuation, and easily confused words. I find errors all the time in published work!  And I'm not talking about the work of some lame-ass school teacher with a blog only my mom and my husband read (but don't "follow"). Plus I'm doing this on my phone without wifi and an auto correct that "fixes" my mistakes (and creates new errors for me to find later).  I've been typing with my thumbs in the "Notes" while I'm offline.  Then,  pasting it into the blog and then adding the pictures once I have a wifi connection. 

Anyway, I am a sign reader. And when in an airplane loo what else is there to do?

 

Why capitalize nearly every word?  And, isn't this actually a question?  May we suggest...?  Or is that the "may/can" thing?

Pads and barf bag storage.  How handy!  There were days when I wasn't sure which I needed first.

Where's the period?  The wipe the sink sign had punctuation.  Shouldn't the people who make these signs at least try to be consistent with one another?

This is funny. It looks like if I want a drink, I press this button and someone will bring me a beverage (And if I ask for it, I can get the whole can...a can in the can?  Hahahahaha!)

Funny, 'cause when I went to the bathroom, the person who "occupied" the lavatory DID NOT lock the door.  Apparently, the sign should also include what to do with the latch when you are using the actual toilet.  By the way, no period.  Finally, I guess the person who made this sign is not a fan of the "Oxford comma".  I am.  I use it, teach it, and look for it.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we flew into San Francisco, I commented to Nicholas, who was sitting next to me, "Ooo, looks like we're coming in for a water landing."  The landing strip/runway lights extended on elevated markers into the water for quite a ways, illuminating the path since there wasn't any land on which to put the lights. But, we landed safely and just had a little giggle about the smog/fog and how brown the grass was (thinking SF must need rain).*See footnote.

Then, we got checked into our hotel and set out to walk the piers and especially to find the infamous sea lions.  However, once we got to the dock where they had been visiting, there was a sign explaining that this time of year is mating season and that they were down south.

Do the sea lions stay here all year? Yes and no. From late summer (late July) to late spring (mid May), there are typically hundreds of sea lions hauled out at K-Dock (ranging from 150 to 600+). In June and July, most of the sea lions head south to breeding grounds on the Channel Islands, although a handful to a few dozen have remained throughout the summer in recent years. In late July, non-breeding sub-adult males and juvenile females begin to migrate north again. Other breeding males travel north later, and some males migrate as far north as Alaska and British Columbia, Canada. http://www.pier39.com/home/the-sea-lion-story/sea-lion-qa/

So, off to find dinner. 

 
Shawn found us a primo corner window seat at Neptune's Waterfront Grill and Bar.Neptune's Waterfront Grill & Bar
This picture is from their website.  We had the corner table with a perfect view of the fog rolling in, the sunset, and the Golden Gate Bridge in the foreground. 
http://www.pier39.com/home/dine/restaurants/neptunes-waterfront-grill-bar/

Photo
Alcatraz was out the other window.

When in San Fran, one MUST eat sour dough.  And my first bite...chipped my previously chipped but twice fixed front tooth.  I bit into the roll, chewed, and felt an unnatural sensation.  Then, I heard the crunch and discretely dug my finger into my mouth to retrieve my tooth remnant.  I examined it...white...and then ran my tongue over my tooth.  I casually mentioned to the table, "In case anyone wants to know, I rechipped my rechipped chipped tooth."  Ah...  We all must make sacrifices for the things we love.  And I do love me some sour dough bread.  Luckily, the chip only removed a small portion and there was no pain or sensitivity.  So, it was business as usual, except for the "no teeth smile" for the rest of the trip.
 
 After dinner, we wandered around Pier 39 and made our way into a magic shop.  Summer and I were giggling at this woman with toilet paper on her shoe.
Photo

But she was probably wondering why Shawn had this in his hoodie.


Nicholas got two magic tricks.  My dad bought him one that he had when he was younger.  Both were thrilled with their purchase.  My dad wanted to teach Nicholas a magic trick.  Nicholas wanted to learn a magic trick.  Win-win.
 
We topped off the night with a little ice cream and made our way back to the hotel.

*Footnote:
The next day Asiana Airlines missed the runway.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment