Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

First Day in San Francisco

On our first full day in San Francisco I woke up and decided to go for a walk.  As a general rule, I try to make right turns.  I make right turn because they are easier to make...easier for crossing streets; easier because in the USA we walk and drive on the right, and I don't have to interfere with someone else (usually); easier to not have to stop at a stop sign, just go around the block...etc.  But I also usually turn right when I have the choice to go to the right or left because that is the "righteous" path.  If you define righteous from Merriam-Webster, you will find synonyms listed as:  decent, ethical, nice, straight, virtuous...and who doesn't want to choose that?  Why on earth would someone want to walk, drive, bike, (etc.) as:  bad, evil, wicked, wrong...? 
 
And so, I tend to go to the right.  Also, if/when I get lost, if I keep turning right, I will eventually find my way back to where I started. I walked out of the hotel and...turned...to the right.  Then, I figured that if I just kept walking, I would eventually end up on the docks.  That is just what happened.  I chose to walk down a road called "North Point" since that is the name of our street in Tampa and I knew that I wouldn't forget that street and get lost on my way back home. 
 
As I walked, I saw another familiar name:  Williams-Sonoma.  I wondered if this was their corporate office?  For a short period of time, I worked for Williams-Sonoma.  I worked in two of their Cincinnati locations, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, and the original Hyde Park (Tampa) store.  I loved that company!  Mental note:  Google it.  This is what I found out.  Interesting.  So, when I called the headquarters (in 1992 or 1993) this in NOT where I called.  But, this is their new HQ.  Oh well. 

 
 

Once I got to the wharf...right turn.  I walked to the Ferry Plaza just before the Bay Bridge, watching the bustling tourists, the endless stream of black Under Armour wearing joggers, and toilets.  Along the way, I noticed that San Francisco has public street toilets like Paris.  Ew.  Nicer than the ones I remember from Paris...but still...ew!
 

 
 
In Florida, we have hurricane evacuation route signs, but this is the first I've seen indicating a "tsunami".  I shouldn't have laughed, but I did.  And who was the genius who chose to put the evacuation route on the:
  1. Shore line?
  2. Reclaimed land?
  3. Engineered seawall?
One would think that this is the last possible street anyone would ever in a million zillion years want to be on during a potential tsunami!

Amazingly, the only Starbucks I passed was the one at the ferry dock right before the Bay Bridge.  So, I bought a "large coffee".  (I can't stand all that venti, grande, latte, Americano, light foam crap.)  Just coffee.  Thanks.

It turns out that my walk was about three miles in all.  My general impression was that this section of the city was busy and packed with joggers!  But, quite safe and exhilarating.

I met up with my folks in the hotel's hallway and we decided to convene in the lobby at 11:00 and go on a Big Bus tour.  These are a fleet of double-decker, open roof, hop-on/hop-off buses with a tour guide who shares stories and facts about the passing scenery. 
 
 
I didn't take many pictures.  This is the Transamerica Pyramid.  Pretty.  I have no information about this building, but the shot with the sun's rays is kinda cool.

And the San Francisco City Hall.  We were told that the gold paint was "real" in some way.  I don't know if I believe that, but...it is a lovely building!

And then to the  pièce de résistance ...The Golden Gate Bridge!  My folks, Nicholas and I walked across it while Summer and Shawn rode across INSIDE the safety of the bus. 

The sidewalk was full of people!  On this side of the bridge is where the pedestrians are and the other side is just for bike riders.  A handy concept because it would not be fun to be dodging bicycles, trying to hang on to my boy, and watch out for my parents while the wind whipped through the strait, chilling our bones and stinging our eyes.


My boy with Alcatraz over his right shoulder.


Boaters galore!

Kilroy was here!

A looooong way down!

A looooooong way up!



Back on the bus for the ride back across the bridge.  (Note the only tooth-showing photo of my cracked tooth.  I just chipped it the night before and hadn't gotten used to keeping my mouth shut.)

We met up with Summer and Shawn and stopped for lunch at Mel's Diner where we learned of the Asiana Airlines disaster.  Since we had just landed there the day before AND commented on the shortness of the runway, this was particularly ominous. 
 
Eventually, we made our way back to the docks to enjoy the street performers and the sights.  I love succulents and this giant living sculpture is such a handsome critter.   Tampa really should have something like this...perhaps even a smaller version in my yard?

As my kids and my folks watched the gold and silver mimes, I chose to make a pit stop...and how handy to have a public toilet right on the sidewalk.  So, I walked up to a man wearing a sweat suit and a "murse" and asked if he was in line to use the bathroom.  No answer.  I repeated my question, "Are you in line to use the bathroom?"  Still, no answer.  Hummmm....  "Is that a yes?"  (I honestly thought he might be homeless.  There are SO MANY homeless in San Francisco!)

Finally, he responded..."What does it look like I'm doing?"

Smiling, I repeated myself AGAIN, "Is that a yes?"

He huffed and adjusted his stance.  So, I just stood there.  For about five minutes.  The toilets have rules posted on them that say that the time limit is twenty minutes.  I waited next to the jerk, thought judgmental things about his rudeness, and watched my family from afar as they were now awed by a spray paint artist.  Then, Shawn came over.  I encouraged him to goad the man with additional questions while I waited to see how he responded..."man to man".  But, no.  A woman who appeared to be his wife (POOR THING) came over to check the status on the bathroom.  It was at that point that I realized that the man only had one arm!  Then, I felt bad.  What if he was a veteran or he lost his arm doing some noble deed?  Meh.  I gave up.
 
In researching more about the sidewalk toilets, I found this picture showing the twenty minute warning.  I should have hung around to see what happened. Source
File:San Francisco public toilet inside door notice.JPG

We went on to Ripley's Believe It or Not.  (When we took our kids to the one in Key West, that was the highlight of that trip for them.)  And so....why not?  Plus, they had a bathroom.  My mom had never been to a Ripley's Believe It or Not and was quite excited to finally get to go inside one for real.  We all toured at our own pace and the kids ran from exhibit to exhibit "Oooing" and "Ahhing" as they raced around, especially enjoying the lighted tunnel that makes one disoriented.  (During this time my dad took himself back to the hotel for his required nap.  He would have HATED Ripley's, so it worked out quite nicely.)

Then, it was time for dinner!  We started at one end of the Fisherman's Wharf and ate our way to the other end.  Crab legs, crab meat, chowder in a sour dough bread bowl, steamed clams, more crab...  And giant brash sea gulls that didn't even get out of the way of cars.  The pier and walkways were littered with dozens of partially eaten bread bowls and the birds were so overfed that they didn't even care to eat more...or fly!  They just walked around.  People and cars had to stop and wait for them to get out of the way.


After grazing our way through the street vendors, we made our way up to Ghiradelli Square for a little dessert.  But, on our way, we stopped in amazement to watch a man swimming at twilight in the waters off of the pier where we just ate dinner.    
 
 
And so, our day in San Francisco was quite the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment