Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Denali Bus/Fairbanks Train



We woke up early!  We were to meet our bus at 5:55 a.m. And got there right "on time" but the whole bus was ready to go and appeared to just be waiting for us. My folks and Summer had gone to get the bagged lunches and I was helping to rally Nicholas and scan the room before we left. The bags had to be out and we were not supposed to bring "day bags" for today since we were all stuffed into a school bus and there was no space for carry on type luggage. So, this was a quick wake, pack, brush teeth, dress in multiple weather options, zip up the bags and dash to pick up food and get on the bus!  Whew!  We all made it. No coffee, but we all made it. 


The bus was already mostly filled up when we got on. There were two seats right behind the driver, two seats together about mid way back and also two single seats. Nicholas and I sat behind the driver. My folks got the other pair. That left Shawn and Summer as singles. 

After we got going and settled, I sent Nicholas back to tell Shawn that Shawn should come up next to me (behind the driver) and Nicholas should sit with the other single lady rider. 

The single lady is someone who we have seen since we were on the cruise ship. It appears that she is in her early to mid 40's and has been on basically the identical path we have been traveling. She's a pleasant looking blonde woman with extremely thick but straight hair. Her face always looks happy because the sides of her lips curl up ever so slightly. In a weird way she looks like the Dugger mama (who also seems to have an upturned grin at all timed). This lady is traveling with two people who I'm guessing are her folks. 

Anyway, Nicholas was ok to sit with her and that way both kids could be single riders, and my folks and Shawn and I could sit together as couples. But, Shawn didn't want to sit in the front of the bus. So, we kept our seats as is. 

At the first bathroom break, we tried to convince Shawn to switch seats around, but no. Then the driver asked for an aisle seat to open up because of wanting to accommodate a woman with a broken foot. So, Shawn gave up his seat and I gave up my seat and presto!  Shawn and I sat together behind the blonde woman.  Nicholas sat with the broken foot lady. The broken foot lady's friend sat with the blonde and my folks and Summer stayed put. 

Easy.

At our next stop we had a chance to get off the bus and to walk around a little.
We got a good look at Mt McKinley although this picture does not do it justice. 
If you look very carefully you can see two smallish circles just to the right of the center of this picture. That is Mt. McKinley!  Only 20% of people who visit the area get to see it because so often the clouds obscure the view. Wow!  I only snapped a few pictures because I really just wanted the image to be burned into my brain and for my memory of seeing this to not be overshadowed by bickering with other passengers who were climbing over one another clamoring to get a shot of the mountain. 

While in the park and in the evening we saw moose and/or caribou (one who even had two babies!!!), a blonde bear and a darker brown bear, several Dall's sheep, lots of ground squirrels, but no wolves or lynx. So, as far as ticking off the bucket list of animal sightings..I'm "good".

Nicholas with his new friend, Hunter Hunt. 


"One Direction" dreaming...

We wound down the day with our final train ride for the dinner leg, ending in Fairbanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment