Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Loons! They're Welcoming Us Back!

In the 80's, when cable TV had very limited programming and often repeated the same set of about ten movies over and over, I must have watched On Golden Pond a million times!   At some point in every scene saw myself in the role of one of the characters.  

Like the Henry and Jane Fonda characters, my dad and I had a similar relationship at times... except I NEVER dared to be so casual as to call my dad an "Old Poop".  My mom called him an "Old Fart" but that wasn't a term that I could let cross my lips - in his presence.  ðŸ˜œ 

I saw myself as the youngster trying to relate to an older more proper generation.  

I looked at the Dabney Coleman character and connected with his being on the outside, looking in.  

But most of all, I wanted to BE Ethel (Katherine Hepburn):  beautiful, no nonsense, loving, easy, with-it, caring, THEE O.G. messy bun, the turtle neck tops... 

One of my favorite scenes is when Ethel goes out to the pond to greet the loons.  I wanted to BE that person.  And in a way, I AM that person!  I greet things endlessly.  I speak to objects, critters, situations, and just about everything as if we are engaged in conversation.  (Now that I think about that, and factor in that I am proudly an introvert, what does that say about me?  Oh Lord, I can't even go there! I'll get myself sucked into some vortex of self psycho analysis.  And then there's the word "loons".  There's a double meaning.  Am I a "loon" as in looney tunes?  Am I the loon!?!  Stop it, Jennifer!)

Anyway, upon arrival, I greeted my precious Abaco and just delighted in her ways.  Ever faithful and true to her Bahamian culture, she was there... welcoming me and my family back.

Pina colada in hand... Hello, Abaco!

Hello BEAUTIFUL shades of blue.  Hello vast expanse of sun, sand, and sky.  


Hello, Wrack Line.  Hello, Flotsam and Jetsam.

Hello,  Surf.  Hello, Breakers.  Hello, Single Pine Tree On The Point.  Hello... to no other people!

Hello, Sargassum.  Hello,  Perfectly Timed Arty Photo.

Hello, Oolitic Limestone. 

Hello, Tidal Pools.  Do you remember when we used to play here?  I do.  I'm so glad to see you.  Yes, I'll bring Nicholas with me.  He's bigger now and might not fit in your warm waters but we'll find one that he can't resist.

Hello, Jagged Lunar Looking Landscape.  Yes, I'll be careful.

Oh!  Hello, Lost Sole!  I've missed you. 

Hello, Seaweed Mermaid!

Use your imagination.
Oh, and hello to you.  You've been around a while.  Where's your toe?  Did a shark do this to you? 

Hello, Pointy.

Hello, Roundy.  Hello, Crab Tracks.

Hello, Flip Flop.

Hello, old friend...Mr. Croc!

Hello, Sea Oat.  I see you've made friends with this shoe.

Hello, Coconut!


Hello, Sea Bean!

Hello, Strange Thing.  Are you marking a turtle nest?  Are you a grave?  Did a worker die here?  Oh, well.  Hello.

Hello, Other Possible Turtle Nest.  I see your pretty heart.  That's nice that someone made that for you.

Hello, Pink Sand!

Hello, Robinson Crusoe Shack.  Oh, you want me to come closer?  Ok.

Hello, Interesting Wine Bottle with Sea Weed Attached.  Do you have a message for me?

Hello, Lawlessness.

Hello, Perma-Smile!  I've missed you too!

Hello, Squiggly Face.  No worries, mon!  I gotchu.  Message received loud 'n' clear.

Hello, Mac 'n' Cheese!  Hello, Goombay Punch!

Hello, Island Boo Boo.  You're just the first of MANY!

Hello, Millie!  You like it here?  Yes, I thought so.  Welcome to my favorite place!
 And then, just like that... it was time to start to say goodnight to the first WONDERFUL day! 
Hello, Sunset.  Goodnight, Sea of Abaco.

Goodnight, Regatta Time Sailors.

Goodnight, Palm Fronds.
 Whoops.  Just kidding!  Nicholas got a second wind!
Hello, Waves!  He's going to tease you, after you scratched up his back.   But I know that you'll get him in the end.

Hello, Abaco Inn.  Thank you for letting me "Tan my toes in the Abacos"!

Goodnight, Millie.  We'll have more fun tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment