Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Reachin' Abaco!

So, as some of you may know, I like to blog about my vacations during the summer.  Most of the time when I am on vacation I am having to write/type on my phone (usually in the "Notes" app), later I cut and paste the words between photos and then when I'm lucky...grab a quick wifi location to upload it all to this blog site.  It is farrrrrr from ideal!  Typing with my thumbs on my phone is an "An A-Number One Royal Bass-Akward Pain in the Arse"!  However, I pride myself in packing light and being divorced from technology while on vacation.  This year...  No more!  I had an entire lovely suitcase all for myself AND a house rented for three weeks WITH wifi!  So, I was determined to blog this year with ease.  I'm on island time and I'm gonna enjoy some of the luxuries that come with staying in one location.  (Unfortunately though, I am not actually used to blogging with just my computer and not my phone.)

This is the year of many firsts!
  • First time bringing a laptop on vacation.
  • First time blogging a vacation from my laptop and not my phone.
  • First time bringing a pet. (Oh yes!  Millie came!!!!)
  • First time going to the Bahamas without my folks.  (Well, not actually the first.  Shawn and I went pre-kids on a Spring Break trip to Lubber's Quarters Cay in 1996.)
  • First time my niece and her beau have travelled outside of the U.S.  (Yes, I use the double "L".  I'm in a formerly British country...and I like the double "L" anyway.)
  • First time flying into the "new" Marsh Harbor Airport.
  • First time not arriving by boat or in a chartered airplane.  (Hence the larger suitcase and more luxuries.)

Packing this time was just so completely weird!  I was allowed a large, hard-sided suitcase!  I wasn't sure what to do with all that space!  When we came in our boat and/or my parents' boat, the rule was that all suitcases needed to be soft-sided and that more smaller bags was better than one large duffle bag.  

Also, this time I had to pack for the dog.  Therefore, I brought a collapsable dog crate!   I mean, really.  Doesn't everyone bring a dog crate in their luggage?  

Due to the extra space and not wanting to have my clothes just toss around in the big bag...I brought loads of goodies.  (I imagine that those odds 'n' ends will make their way into this blog over the weeks.)   
Next to the tan DOG CRATE is my treasured pink and orange insulated cup from my dear Ms. Barr .  
In order to be up 'n' out to make our early morning flight, we had to wake up at about 5:00 AM.  But, we were not able to check in to our island home until 3:00 PM.  So, we planned ahead and wore our bathing suits on the flight.  That way we were ready to hit the beach as soon as we landed on Elbow Cay.

Abaco...here we come!

Nicholas, Summer, Emma (my niece), and her steady, Zack.

It's still dark!  But, we're suited up and ready to get wet.
Millie is not quite two.  (Her birthday is in August.)  But, she's already done a lot of traveling and she is quite an excellent purse dog.
Chillin' in her bag.
Millie has a MAJOR attachment to me and has severe separation anxiety.  She whines, cries, whimpers, and barks if I'm out of her sight.  But, the bag plus an 11 pound dog is kind of heavy.  So, she sat on the seat behind me and kept a very watchful eye on her mama.
Once we got to our gate, we had time to settle in for a bit.  The kids walked around, got breakfast, and killed time by playing on their devices.

Going with the "It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness Policy", I took Millie out of her bag so that she didn't have to be cooped up while we were at the gate.  This gate only services small airplanes going to tropical destinations:  Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Key West, Bahamas...  So, I figured all of these folks were chill kind of types and wouldn't mind a recently groomed white fluffy dog sitting on my lap.
I swear I think that Millie likes her leash because she thinks that she's got me attached to her and knows I can't leave.

Once we boarded the plane, I applied the same policy and took Millie out of her bag.  I recently bought her a sling and she LOVES being in it.  So, I figured that was a good way to keep her happy during the flight.

The flight was under two hours.  Millie was GREAT!  However, he decided that she wanted to visit Summer and stand on the tray table for a bit.  Of course, when she's not actually "on" me, she can see me better.
Millie woke Summer from a nap...by pawing at her face.

In no time at all, we could see the Bahama islands!  Millie returned to the sling for the final little portion of the flight and I just patiently waited to return to my precious Abaco.
I was born in Ohio.  But, in my heart, I'm a native Bahamian.  Hello, homeland!

We landed in the new airport and marveled at all of the posh upgrades.  We got our passport stamps and cleared customs with ease.  Then, it was off to the ferry dock for our ride to Elbow Cay.  The kids went straight to the beach for a quick little stroll along the shoreline.
Emma and Zack's first taste of island life.

One of the many "Donnie" ferry boats in the background.

Summer and Emma

Kalik!  Yes, please!
Because Millie was so good in the Tampa airport, during the flight, in the Marsh Harbor airport, in the cab to the ferry dock, and plus we are in de islands... I treated her to a shady under the dock adventure!
Sandy feet!

Aww...  So cute!
I knew that as soon as I arrived in the Bahamas, I was back!  Back in a good way!  I was nervous about missing my folks and doing this trip without them.  I thought I might be sad.  But, the islands spoke to me and sent me this heart.  My first beach treasure of this vacation was perfectly placed there just for me.  "Welcome back, Jennifer.  We've missed you"
"Oh, Abaco...I love you!"
The ferry arrived.  All of the nervous people clogged up the dock and heaved their bags around.  Not me.  I waited.  I stayed on the beach, lagged behind, allowed the staff to load my bags, and boarded the Donnie with ease.
Millie, Nicholas, and I...we done reach!

As per usual, Nicholas made friends with the woman siting nearby. Millie, uncharacteristically, also decided to make friends with the lady.    He chatted on and on with her while I just enjoyed the sea spray and all of the shades of blue in the water and the sky.



 It's official.  We done reach! 


No comments:

Post a Comment