Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I think I think too much!

Since being back in school I've lost five of the fifteen pounds that I put on during the summer break. Before school let out I was really trying to work the OA steps. I read the books, took notes, highlighted, tabbed pages, went to face to face meetings, listened to phone meetings, prayed and journaled a lot. But then life got in the way...

So, back to school and routines. Back to HP and God's will. Back to boundaries. And that is a comfort to me. I like structure and knowing what comes next. But with so much change going on with my new school, perhaps it is time to embrace the discomfort. 

I'm a fan of quotes, idioms, cliches, and memes.  But at present, this is my favorite. I don't know for how long I've carried this quote with me. I do know that I had this typed up in the notes section of my PALM PILOT and that very fact dates this as more than 12 years (because I haven't carried that thing around since before my daughter was born).  

"Every one of us is called upon, probably many times, to start a new life. A frightening diagnosis, a marriage, a move, loss of a job...and onward full tilt we go, pitched and wrecked and absurdly resolute, driven in spite of everything to make good on a new shore. To be hopeful, to embrace one possibility after another - that is surely the basic instinct....crying out: High tide! Time to move out into the glorious debris. Time to take this life for what it is." 

~Barbara Kingsolver, "High Tide In Tucson"

Truthfully, I never knew this in its entirety and thanks to the internet, "glorious debris" is all I needed to type in and now the whole thing!  And wow! I've been saying this as a kinda of mantra without even knowing how closely the "glorious debris" is to me. I've only known that second from the last line. 

Coincidence?  HP?  
"Called upon to...move...start a new job"
"Full tilt"
"Embrace a new possibility"

And I just have always loved that phrase, "glorious debris".  As a lover of what washes up in the wrack line, the debris is really glorious!  That's where the sea beans, feathers, sea glass, lost shoes, intact light bulbs, and all kinds of quirky finds are. I have always enjoyed searching the tangles of sea weed for uncovered things that most folks simply breeze by...

Hummmm.... How does this relate to me?  School?  Change?  I'm not really sure. 

Am I the glorious debris?  Am I in the glorious debris?  Am I to find something in the glorious debris?  Is change the glorious debris?  Is my new school the glorious debris?  What about the new people I'm working with?  Are they the glorious debris?  The students? And what should I make of the "high tide" bit? And the "take life for what it's worth" part?  Am I supposed to just apply the "it is what it is" theory to things?

Hummm... I think I think too much sometimes. Speaking of thinking, I think started this post with something about weight loss.  So, now to lose that other ten pounds I put on during the break. 

I do hereby set the following goal:
Lose ten pounds by the end of September. Reward:  ???

Applicable cliche: 
 


I should have a reward.  But what?  Oh too much thinking!  When in doubt, Google it: "Weight loss rewards" http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/reward-ideas-for-your-weight-loss-journey/
100+ reward ideas for your weight loss journey

Here are 100+ (non-food) reward ideas:

Reward your healthy behavior on your weight loss journey.

Buy yourself (a) new:

  • Belt (Ha!  Like as if I would ever even wear one!)
  • Book (I'm already swamped!)
  • Bouquet of flowers (Meh.)
  • Clothes (No, because I've already got gobs of clothes in all size ranges.)
  • DVD (Nah, passé.)
  • Exercise clothes (Overflowing drawer already!)
  • Healthy cookbook (Also passé.)
  • iPod or mp3 player (iPhone)
  • iPod, iPhone, or iPad accessory (Got it.)
  • Item for a collection or hobby (I have gobs of beads and needlepoint and puzzles and ....)
  • Kitchen gadget (I try to limit those.)
  • Magazine subscription (I've got too many as it is.)
  • Membership (Boring)
  • Pair of shoes (Nah. I've got too many as it is.)
  • Perfume/cologne (Done.)
  • Picture frame (Ooo...interesting!  Good one!)
  • Piece of exercise equipment (Gag.)
  • Piece of jewelry (No.)
  • Purse or wallet (I do want a new wallet...another interesting idea!)
  • Robe (Got it.)
  • Slippers (Got it.)
  • Socks (Got it.)
  • Tie (NA)
  • Tool (Boring.)
  • Underwear (Weird.)
  • Wall hanging (See picture frame comment.)
  • Watch (Got one.)
  • Workout music (Pandora.)

Download a/an: 

  • App (No.)
  • Computer game (No.)
  • Exercise video (No.)
  • Kindle book (No.)
  • Movie (No.)
  • Ring tone (Maybe.)
  • Song (Also a maybe.)

Spend time alone and: (Although I love all of these, no.  These are things I basically require for existence.  I'm a diva.)

  • Do nothing
  • Enjoy peace and quiet
  • Lay down for a nap
  • Play ‘Words With Friends’ or another game
  • Read a book or magazine
  • Sip coffee or tea
  • Take a bath
  • Watch your favorite TV show 
  • Work a crossword puzzle, jigsaw puzzle, Sudoku puzzle, etc.

Go to a/the: (No.  No. No.)

  • Batting cage
  • Bowling alley
  • Comedy club
  • Concert
  • Fair
  • Golf course (or mini golf course)
  • Mall
  • Movies
  • Museum
  • Play or musical
  • Pool or beach
  • Spa (Maybe.)
  • Sporting event
  • Zoo

Pamper yourself with (a):

  • Acupuncture (Ew!  No way!)
  • Bath products (A nice idea.)
  • Facial (No.)
  • Haircut/color (I do it myself.)
  • Manicure/pedicure (Ditto above.)
  • Massage (Perhaps.)
  • New make-up (I do need a new mascara.)
  • Spray tan (LOL!)
  • Teeth whitening (No.)
  • Wax (Gee, if I lose ten pounds I'll treat myself to a waxing?! Ha!)

Put money towards (a/an): (A little bit over the top, don't ya' think?)

  • Gift card for your favorite store
  • Hiring a maid
  • Horse back riding
  • Hot air balloon ride
  • Investment
  • Personal training sessions
  • Sky diving
  • Smaller wardrobe
  • Spa day
  • Vacation
  • Weekend trip

Take a class in/on: (Ditto)

  • A foreign language
  • Art 
  • Ballroom dance
  • Computers/software
  • Cooking
  • Jewelry/bead making
  • Photography
  • Rock climbing
  • Scrapbooking
  • Self-defense
  • Sewing or crocheting

Take a lesson to practice: (And ditto again.)

  • Acting
  • Archery
  • Dance
  • Golf
  • Guitar
  • Salsa
  • Surfing
  • Tennis
So, now that I've poo-pooed nearly every single thing...  I'll treat myself to a new wallet when I lose ten pounds by the end of September. 

Good grief!  That was a lot of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment