Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 2, 2013

Finale in San Fran Part 2

The following photos are my favorites. I couldn't just pick one or two, even though they are basically the exact same picture over and over. The eerie fog set the tone perfectly for the ubiquitous Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz shots.   In the foreground is the top section of an old weathered dock piling - the part that is sometimes covered with a metal cap to keep rot out and to prevent birds from roosting there. That recognizable driftwood  added to the haunting image. But, I LOVED that there are webbed footprints leading up to and then away from the once forbidden perch. I image the bird thinking, "How's that piling cap workin' out fer ya' Mister Man?" 








As I continued to walk towards the bridge, I came upon an old wooden breakwater, covered in sea weed and barnacles.  It made for a nice frame for the bridge. (I had to time the waves to get the shot without having my feet soaked!)


Under a dock I found a lovely letter N to add to my collection.


This is about as close to the bridge as I could get. Although the tide was out, I just couldn't traverse these slimey rocks for long. So, I turned around and headed back. 

It is my general beach combing rule to not walk the same path out and back. If I walk along the water's edge on the way out, I walk the wrack line on the way back. But this time I literally combed the beach. I scanned the lapping waves, turned around after about 100 yards, moved up the beach about a foot and walked back, then repeated that same out and back process until I did another 100 or so yards. In all, I walked the beach four times:  out, back, out again, back again, and then moved on to do the grid for the next chunk of shoreline. 

This is my total haul from Alaska and California. The California sea glass was mostly very old and fully etched. The inland waters of Alaska aren't able to produce enough wave action to smooth the edges, but the chances of my return to Alaska are slim, so I kept just about every piece I found. (Normally I throw back what isn't fully cooked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment