Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Traveling Day

As I sit here this morning (our second morning on the island) I am forced to
S L O W  d o w n. 
I know I'm on island time, but the reality is that I'm still not quite adjusted.  I am reminded of this when I opened my computer and tried to come to this Blogger page.  Click Safari.  Wait.  Click Blogger.  Wait.  Click "new draft".  Wait.

Got it.  Slow down, girl.

Sitting on the bench seat of the outdoor dining set, the sun is on my face.  This island is in the shape of an elbow, hence the name Elbow Cay.  Our house faces the ocean.  We are the third house off the beach, about 200 yards away.  The sun is rising in the direction of about 10 o'clock (off to the left) and it is still low enough that it hasn't yet reached the eaves.  Occasionally there is a passing cloud that offers a few moments of less intensity.  There is a palm tree that also, depending of the breeze and just the right combination of circumstances, gives me a fraction of a second to release my face muscles from this one-eyed-squint blogging session.  There is a solution.   I type with my eyes closed and enjoy the warmth of the morning sun on my face.

When I am at home and particularly keyed up, I have this falling asleep meditation that I do. The instructions say to listen to the sounds far away.  Bring in the circumference of the listening area until you are just hearing the sounds of your own body.  Don't judge the sounds you hear.  Don't even identify them.  Just listen and be aware that there is something.   But, here on this porch, I want to identify the sound!  If I don't, I won't fully own this moment.  I allow myself to do more than just witness what I hear, but to record it.

The ocean's the most dominant sound.  I listen to it and hear the rise and fall in intensity; waves building and crashing, rinsing away yesterday's footsteps and sand sculptures, depositing treasures just for people like me.  There's this underlying general hum of ocean, like a pleasant static that fills the entire atmosphere.  Mostly I hear the ocean off to my 1 o'clock.  I wonder why I don't hear it from dead ahead.  I allow this thought to simmer but move the circumference in a bit.

The porch is framed with palm trees.  A larger on the left and a slightly smaller one on the right.  As the breeze passes the palm fronds rustle.  The sound is hard to describe.  It's like a really hard rain hitting the window.  Or a light trickle of rice being gently poured into a glass measuring cup.  The sound is endless and I love trying to think of metaphors and similes to describe it.  Like someone thumbing through the pages of a book.  Similar to a faint crinkle of a plastic candy wrapper or a bag of chips. Oh, I give up.  It's just such a pleasant sound.

Birds tweet.  I'm not good at identifying bird calls.  The birds are just adding a little sweetness to the general hum of the other sounds that play themselves.  The birds aren't particularly near to me.  But, I can hear them...a variety of chirps:  some more staccato and some more melodic.  What are they saying?  Are these announcements?  What I hear just appears to be songbirds, no squawking of gulls...yet.  I guess they're letting the smaller birds have their moment.

The pool pump just kicked on.  So, now, there's the sound of that motor and the movement of the water.

Breeze.  Birds.  Palm fronds.  Tighten the circle of sounds.

Keeping my eyes closed, I can hear myself typing.  A flurry of clicks followed by long periods of silence as I listen and take in more of my surroundings, fingering the keyboard, keeping myself centered on the raised bumps:  letters J and F.

During a pause, I reach up to adjust my bun, securing some of the escaped hair that keeps tickling my face and neck.  I stretch my arms and twist around, hearing the snaps and pops of my spine waking up.  I interlace my fingers and crack them like Bugs Bunny before he sits to play Mozart.

A golf cart has just passed by on the road that is to the left.  It's 7:15.  People must be waking up and getting to where ever it is that they need to go.

I'm still in my pajamas.

The sun is almost high enough that the roofline blocks it.  Occasionally I slit one eye and periscope at my surroundings to locate my coffee cup...  a much needed sip.  Soon I will be able to just keep my eyes open and see what it is that I've typed.  In a way, I don't want to open them.  That will signal the end of this glorious forced moment of mediation.

I push my laptop away, eyes closed, and just enjoy the rest of my coffee and this feast for my senses.

______________________________________________

Since I can't just skip the things that led up to the aforementioned moment, I need to write about getting here.

Packing!

Packing for this trip gets me so excited!  I plan and purchase, purchase and plan.  Pondering the packing is like a mini vacation just in itself.  I've felt this way for years.  I get such enjoyment out of things that I choose to bring and leaving out items that I don't need.  And then, I am elated at the new things that I get to introduce.


For the years that we came by boat or chartered plane, we were free to bring whatever we wanted.  There's no bag limit, no weight limit, no "rules".   For example:  boogie boards.  (We have donated quite a few to these islands.)  Last year, Nicholas found one literally "On Da Beach" and claimed it as his own.  Knowing that the likelihood of that happening again was slight, I searched Amazon and our local Pinch a Penny and West Marine for an alternative that was easy to pack.  Perhaps an inflatable? Something sturdy?  Canvas, not plastic.  Nope.  But, what I did find was this American flag kick board.  It easily fit in Nicholas' suit case and I knew that he'd be super stoked about having the American flag.  So, I bought it.  My family looked at me like I was a little nuts but that's nothing outside of the norm for us.  Thank you Pinch a Penny.

Also, last year the house came with a lovely pool float.  And, that really enhanced our pool lounging experience.  Just in case the pool float was gone (as I expected it would be), I purchased this spring float papasan.  Perfect: collapsible,  light weight, easy to pack...ON SALE!!!  Thank you West Marine.

No Fog is another must have luxury.  Spit in the mask has NEVER worked for me.  I couldn't quite remember, but I thought that we had lost our bottle from last year.  So, West Marine hooked us up again with another "necessity".

While I was on a buying spree, I also got these super fun beach toys...Rocket Copters!  Three sling shot devices and six light up new fangled puddle jumper type rockets.  Nicholas... and I guess all boys... (Oh wait.  Add me in.  So, I guess ALL "kids") love sling shots!
Fun ✓  Light weight ✓ On sale ✓  (Side note:  I tried to remove all unnecessary packaging material since it added weight and these islands don't need all our excess trash.  Also, I like to make sure that everything I pack is useful.  Hence, the headband/sun scarf doubling as a way to secure the rocket copters and sling shots.)


Most years when we are here, we also celebrate my dad's birthday.  This year we came later than usual.  However, there will still be a birthday celebration.  These guys have traveled from Hershey, PA to Tampa and now to Abaco.  I wonder if they'll be consumed here or will go on to their next destination, Vero Beach.

All beach houses need a foot bath as standard issue.  Last year we used aluminum lasagna pans.  Thank you Amazon for this upgrade!  Perfect solution!  Inflatable foot bath with pictures of feet to remind everyone to wash their feet as they enter the house.  I'm kinda giddy about this purchase.  See what I mean?  Part of the joy of coming here is finding these little gems and just loving the decadent extravagance of having a foot bath.  Ohm.

If a foot bath could bring me such euphoria, imagine my emotional state when I chose to make this purchase!  Let me explain.  The bread in the Bahamas is so good!  We eat LOAVES of it like it is a sport.  The bread comes in the whole loaf and needless to say, there's no easy/non-messy way to slice it.  Having worked at Williams-Sonoma and The Rolling Pin for years (pre-school teacher days), I knew about this lovely contraption.  When we sold bread machines, this was an almost automatic add-on purchase.  But, I couldn't quite remember what it was called.  So, Amazon search:  crumb tray (no), cutting board (no), bread crumb cutting tray (BINGO!).  And, look at the super efficient way it was packed for easy travel.

Once assembled, it has a back stop and two side rails that are adjustable.  The large loaves of bread will fit perfectly in there!  And, there are guides that help you slice uniform sizes.  {Insert angels singing.}

Wherever I go, it seems that I have a scene playing on a loop in my head.  I see a hammock and me in it.  However, most places don't seem to have that same vision.  So, thanks to Dick's and their end cap display in the camping section, I now can make that mirage a reality!  No matter where I go, I'm taking this baby with me!

Sadly, they forgot to take off the security sensor.  After looking up ways to remove/destroy this little sucker, I chose to go back to Dick's, explain that I didn't steal this, and ask for them to take it off.  (That was no problem, but it was super weird to go into the store and wonder what the employees were thinking.  But, I managed because this hammock is coming with me!)

Last year, I painted around 60 rocks.  Luckily, the lady who owns the house where we are staying is a painter.  So, when we left, I left my paints and brushes here for her to add to her collection.  She has given me permission to use any of her materials this year.  Knowing that, I only needed to bring some varnish (in case the old one dried up).  Painting coral/coquina with a brush is super tricky, especially since until last year I had not held an artist's paint brush since high school, I splurged on these paint markers.

No packaging coming with me!

I filled our entire garbage can with packaging!  Wasteful!  I'm glad I thought about removing all of this junk and not taking it to the island.  They don't need that.  Score one for me and Mother Abaco.


But, wait!  There's more!  I had been looking for a collapsible beach chair on Amazon for a while.  One of the good things about Amazon is that there are reviews and specs and all kinds of pieces of extra information that can make you more/less likely to purchase an item.  However, nothing beats a good ol' opportunity to give something a true test run.   I had read on Amazon that people thought this chair wasn't high backed enough, that it was hard to get out of, that it wasn't very sturdy, that it was blah blah blah.  So, I sat in it.  Scrunched myself down, imagined my feet in the sand, checked out the cup holder, squirmed around and listened for the metal and/or the fabric to show some sign of possible failure, and then kind of ungracefully got out of it.  Yep.  Perfect.  And, at only 6.5 lbs and only 30 inches when folded...it'll fit in my duffel bag.  Yah, mon!

The toys were packed, now I just needed to figure out the actual clothes.
Pajamas:  I only wear in these in the Bahamas because that is a weird way that I honor my island experience.
Socks:  Two.  One clean, one dirty on rotation.  A cuff is necessary to keep the sand from getting inside.  Also, I love these socks.  One has grapes and wine to remind me that I'll be able to have some since I've jogged off the calories.  The other says "Hottie" since that is what I am.  =)
Sweatbands:  Two.  One clean, one dirty on rotation.
Jog Bras:  Two.  Ditto above.
Underwear:  Four.  And, that's probably over packing since I'll be in my swimsuit for most of the time.
Hair Flowers:  ALL that I own.  Because...why not?!?

Swimsuits:  Four.  Only my favorites can come to the Bahamas.  I LOVE these!  Three tankinis with ruffles to hide the lumps and bumps and one just flat front ordinary one for wearing under rash guard.
Sundresses:  Three.  Plus the one for the airplane.  That's a total of four.  (I probably over-packed sundresses.  But, I love these and I mostly save them just for Abaco.)
Crochet Tops/Cover-Ups:  Four tops, one sarong.  (Definitely over-packed.  But, I love these tops!)
Tank Tops w/Shelf Bra:  Four.  Plus the one for the airplane.  These tops double as work-out gear, a bra, as a tank under the crochet tops, pajamas if I'm too tired to actually put on pajamas...etc.)
Shorts:  Two.  Solid so as not to clash with crochet tops.
Long Sleeve T-Shirt:  One.  I'll buy at least one more while I'm here.  It's kind of like my thing that I collect.

Misc. Stuff:  Visor, phone belt, earbuds, anti-chafe stick, lipstick (serves as lip sunscreen PLUS makes ugly jogging selfies so much cuter), hair ties, glitter body balm, dental floss, Q-Tips, coconut-lime body butter (that is ONLY used whilst in Abaco), stain stick...

There Is No Doctor On This Island Gear:
BandAids (EVERY single one I own must come!  Big, small, waterproof, and blister covers), clippers, tweezers, nail file, Alka Seltzer, and Neosporin.

At the airport!  My duffel bag is the pink one (40+ lbs), Summer used the yellow one, Shawn and Nicholas had proper rolling suitcases.  No one was over the 50 lbs limit.  Also, the home owner of the house we are renting had allowed us to keep a bag in her laundry room.  That meant that we didn't need to pack snorkels, flippers, bug repellent, my pink Crocs, a pair of jogging sneakers, and a few cans of sunscreen.  That was a HUGE help!

Airport/Airplane Photos:
Nicholas hates selfies and hates that I love them!  One day, he's going to look back on these and be like, "I'm so glad my mom took so many selfies."  Ha!  Ha!

The airplane sits three across.  Nicholas and Shawn sat in the two seats.

Summer and I sat on the side with the single seats.

My view.  Strange.  No, duh.  This airplane seats only about 20.  Shawn and I keep this general rule:  We prefer planes that only seat a few and only go to small islands.

From our neighborhood "Little Lending Library"

The Handmaid's Tale the book, since I can NOT seem to get enough of this story!!!

Tampa, from the air.  Not bad.  But, it's not my Abaco.

Grand Bahama Island, you're BEAUTIFUL!  But, you're not "my" homeland.

Between Grand Bahama and Great Abaco is an area called The Marls.  I've never been, but it looks like a paradise.  In reality, though, it is thought of as one of the great bone fishing locations in the world.  (Again, I've never been and it's not a something that is an easy visit...I'm just going to enjoy the view from the air.)


Marsh Harbour Airport.  It is still so strange to fly into a "real" airport with air conditioning.  We love it though.  Hello, Abaco!

Taxi selfie!  We done reach!

Ferry dock!  Seriously, is there anything more welcoming?  I walked out on the dock and said, "Hello, Abaco!  I'm home!"  A local looking guy said, "Are you from here?  Where?"  Sadly, I had to explain that this is not actually my homeland...I just want it to be.

Nicholas will drink several CASES of this stuff while he's here!

Kalik!  Ahhhh...

Summer found these glasses in the water.  Nicholas, the good sport, tried 'em out.

Kalik selfie!
 Summer by the jetty.

I swear this is the truth...  My face ID on my phone didn't recognize me!  "Hello, iPhone X...It's me.  This is the version of me you never met.  I smile a lot when I'm here.  And, I look soooo happy!"

Summer's selfie.  Not recognized by my iPhone.

Kalik Light label.  Seriously!?!  Perfection:  clear waters of the Bahamas, consumed in good company, Regatta time, easygoing.  Yes!

Ferry to Hope Town.  Nervous people go first.  I'm one who excels at being at the end of the line.  (I like thinking judgmental thoughts about the tourists who are clearly here for the first time.)

Nicholas and Summer, old pros.




I don't need no round trip.  I's staying'.






No comments:

Post a Comment