Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Day Three

Although I am not someone who you would look at and say, "Gee, I bet that girl is a jogger and has run every paved and unpaved inch of this island." I am and it's true.  I have this love/hate relationship with running.  I love it when it's over; I hate it while I'm doing it.  On this island...I mostly love it.  What's not to love?  Sun.  Sand.  Selfies.  And, I  love exploring, listening to rake-n-scrape music, and being alone with no timeline.

Today's jogging session took me to the North End.  Last year, I decided that this was my favorite route and I couldn't wait to get back to see this super secluded section of the island.  I wanted to see what had changed (hoping that it wasn't too much) and what was the same (and still "mine").

A little over 2.5 miles from our house to the tip.  Enjoying the shade under someone's deck overlooking the Sea of Abaco.

Last year, the home owner allowed us to leave a suitcase of stuff in her laundry room.  We left our snorkel gear, sunscreen, bug repellent, my Crocs, and these running shoes.  (What a relief to not have to pack such bulky items!)

When I jog at home I have a "fidget stick" that I use to help keep me sane.  Song one:  I hold my stick in my right hand and flip it end over end.  Song two:  I switch to my left hand and repeat the end over end flipping.  Song three:  back to the right hand but now I twirl it between my fingertips.  Song four: repeat with the left hand.  And so on and so on and so on and so on...  That fidget stick is my absolute BEST FRIEND!  I love it!  I actually have two that I use on rotation.  One is thick and sturdy, the other is more fragile and has a crook at one end.

Last year I found a fidget shell.  One side was a little like a grumpy fish.
 And the other side... a happy fish!

I rubbed and twirled that little guy so that he was filled with good island juju and then gave it to a dear friend to serve as a fidget shell/worry stone.

It was my intention to find a new fidget shell/stone/stick.  So, I picked up with tropical almond and gave him a "test run".  It fit nicely in my hand, had a pleasant feeling ridge to satisfy me, and an irresistible soft spot at one end that I just couldn't help myself but to press on and dig my thumbnail into.

A handsome little fella.

My almond and I sat and enjoyed the breeze and the Sea of Abaco.

But, then...I found this bracket.  And that soft spot was so tempting.  Resist.  Resist.  OMG!  I sliced it open.  Just a little.  Needless to say, this is not going to be my new island fidget toy.

I mourned the loss of my almond and soaked in some more of the shade, wondering how much longer this deck will last.

The wood is very soft and there is evidence that the Sea has spent a good amount of time trying to clamber up the rocky shore to claim this structure as her own.

This is the house that belongs to the deck.  It's just a square box:  no air conditioning, only a few windows, and one door.

Deck.

House.  I could live here!

Sadly, in a way, there is building going on at the house at the very tip of the northern end of the island (next to this one room shack).

Last year, this house didn't appear to have been lived in or visited for quite a while.  This year...

I love the bit of beach below this house.  And since I'd like to think that I am a Bahamian, I have access to all beaches as my Crown Land.  The rule is that as long as you access the beach from the water's edge or below the mean high water mark, the land is public.  There are no private beaches in the Bahamas.  I take full advantage of that.  This particular beach is only about 20 yards north to south.  But, interesting things wash ashore here.  Like this crawfish's head.

And this new fidget stone.  I'll pocket this little dude for my next outing.

After a browse around and decent handful of sea glass, it was time to head south.  Rather than jog home, I strolled the beach, soaking in the sights left just for me.  Dog prints?

This is one of my favorite houses on this island.  I don't know the name of it.  But, I've named it Back in the Holler.  I'm glad to see that it is still standing tall at the top of this rocky outcropping.

Knowing these beaches as well as I do, I know that the treacherous rocky bits are done from here until the southern end of the settlement.  So, off with my shoes.

I do love these shoes!  "Run Happy"

"Carpe Runem"

Another view of "Back in the Holler".

I came across two washed up boogie boards.  The first one was in such bad shape that I didn't even consider hauling it back the two miles to our house.  But this one...  This one has a strap!  Pro!  But, once I picked it up, it just disintegrated.  Sorry, Nicholas.

I love taking pictures of shoes that have washed up on the beach.  I love pondering them:  how they got lost, who they belonged to, where they have traveled, what they have seen...  There are too many to photograph.  Plus, I've got dozens and dozens of "Lost Soles".  This one, worth the time to stop.  I like the sand nestled between the stars.

I made it back to the settlement and waited for my "Uber".
I sat on the bench in the shade of a sea grape tree and absorbed it all:
A mother singing a stream of consciousness to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" to her baby she was pushing on the swing at the park, in the shade of the fig tree.
Golf carts coming and going, puttering, exhaling fuel, the lift of the seat, the jingle of keys, the plop of the sea being lowered back, knowing that hiding your golf cart keys on the gas tank is not really a good hiding spot.





Once my Uber arrived, I instructed my driver, Summer, to stop along the way for a green coconut that  I spied.  I better leave her a good review.  😏

Last year Summer and I hacked away at some coconuts, ruined her shirt with coconut sap, and finally managed to get a cup of coconut water.  This year, I came prepared with a new coconut tool from Amazon.  
Step one:  find a green coconut.  ✔

Step two:  use the pointed end to pry off the leaves.  ✔

Step three:  stab the tool into the soft spot, rotate 360, and pull out the "plug".  ✔

Oh.  My.  Gawd!!!  This was soooo easy!  Pour over ice and enjoy nature's own version of Gatorade!

While I was out on my jogging adventure, Summer worked on the puzzle.  Wow!  She's amazing!

My full route.  (I love my new Apple watch with built in GPS.)
My Uber!


For dinner, Fire Fly and a sunset.

I could get used to this island life.



No comments:

Post a Comment