Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Aquarium, Japanese, and Beach Walk

The last day in Vancouver was to be a visit to the Capilano Suspension Bridge (minus Shawn and possibly Summer, and by default probably minus my mom too). However it was misty and just too wet for a day long adventure through the tree tops. So, the Vancouver Aquarium made for an excellent second choice that all would enjoy.


We took two taxis from the hotel to the aquarium. Our taxi was driven by (according to Nicholas) a Chinese Santa Claus.  The driver wore a turban and a long white beard and very kindly explained to us that he was Indian (from India) and that their tradition is to not cut their hair. To avoid looking like (his words--->) "an old balding hippy" the men in their culture choose to wear turbans to wrap up and cover their long hair. Then he went on to explain how people assume he's "Arab" and then referenced misconceptions perpetuated by Hollywood movies. 

I think of myself as well travelled*and I try to expose and educate my kids about people who are different than those they typically see, but I clearly need to do a better job!  I was surprised that Nicholas thought the man was "Chinese" and I also was surprised by my own lack of info. 

(*Since I'm in a country that uses the doubled final consonant rule, I've purposefully chosen the British/Canadian spelling.)

Once we had our much needed lesson, we went on to learn more about the marine life of the Pacific Northwest.  First stop:  Anything cute!

We all wanted to take him home!  


But, this is what we get to take home instead. And in my opinion, he's quite a nice house pet!

Sadly, that's it for the pictures I took at the aquarium! 

We saw a 4-D movie, A beluga whale show, fish galore, invertebrates, frogs, a snake, porpoise, jelly fish and the gift shop where Grandma purchased post cards for the kids' scrapbooks, a Maple Leaf's jersey for Nicholas, and the ever typical purple sloth knee socks for me.  (No sloths in Canada but how often does one have the opportunity to buy purple sloth knee socks?!  And so, a must for any visitor to the Vancouver Aquarium!)

For dinner, we went to a Japanese restaurant called Dang Po Po. This is where the locals go for sushi and was well worth it!  OMG!  Amazing!  But, no pictures. 

Since we were only two blocks from the opposite shore from the location of our hotel, we walked on Denman Street down to the beach.   The shore line was rocky and quite wide due to the spring tides caused by the Summer Solatice and Super Moon. The kids, my dad and I walked the beach while Shawn (ever the gentleman) stayed on the blacktop path with my mom. 

Tiny human life form is Nicholas. 

Summer on the jetty. 

Another shot from farther away. 

Nicholas (as a typical 10 year old would be) did not pay attention to what Grandma read during our drive to Whistler about this rock man. Luckily, this particular "Inukshuk" had a plaque to read. Handy iPhone means...snap a picture and voila: instant photographic memory. 









No comments:

Post a Comment