Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 3, 2017

Irresistible!

Despite the LVA slogan:  "LVA  Twice a Day. Everyday." we ran out of bread and cereal.  So, this morning I dropped Nicholas off at the LVA with instructions to buy a loaf of bread and then walk home.  Obviously, our first choice was some yummy homemade island bread but, if that wasn't available, a pedestrian pre-sliced loaf would do.  I gave him $20 and explained that if there was anything else that he wanted and he could afford it, that he was allowed to get it.  He proudly took himself into the store, not even looking back.  

Summer and I motored to the settlement, parked the golf cart and walked to Vernon's Grocery on the northern side of the town.  (Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and that means that I wasn't able to take any pictures of the store or Vernon.  The place must be photographed for it to be really understood.  I'll do that another day.)  

Onward.  Vernon's is famous for his baked goods...all made by him and/or his staff right in the shop.  Today, Summer and I were just on a bread run...
Left to right:  banana bread/pound cake, super dense white bread, cinnamon rolls, and  a loaf of moist cornbread.
 Shawn had asked for coconut pie if they had one.  And we did not disappoint!  FRESH coconut shavings...with some of the brown still on.  This pie looked like a hash brown quiche! Not that prepackaged bleached out and pre-sweetened junk.  This was real coconut that was probably grated by hand.  And the crust...oh my!
Ummmm....  Dessert!
Meanwhile, back at the LVA, Nicholas, amazingly,  did find something to buy for himself.  He claimed these Lucky Charms as his own.  (I am so totally having a huge bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast tomorrow before he wakes up!)
Labeled with medical tape that we found in the house.
In order to keep the crumbs and kitchen mess to a minimum, I usually slice all of the bread at one time and then rebag it.  Shawn and I couldn't stop raving over the banana bread!  It's like a cross between banana bread and pound cake.  And what's better on pound cake than MORE butter?!
O.M.G!  

And...since we've been going through so much bread here, we've decided to keep the butter out at room temperature to make it easier to spread.

After the bread extravaganza, Shawn decided to clean the tuna a bit more, that way we could eat it as sushi and have it easily available for grilling or snacking.
Like a pro!
 I needed to at least attempt to burn off some of the bread and butter calories.  I decided to walk to the Abaco Inn and then venture down south to see if I could get to Tahiti Beach.  This time I wasn't going to go along the sheer cliff and jungle of shrubbery.  I walked down the bumpy road and found beach access just past Pieces of Eight. (To see their property...it's for sale, click here.)  Onward to Abaco Inn and parts unknown!

Once I got about 150 yards south of the inn, I got distracted by the beauty of the tidal pool.  I just couldn't move.  I stood there and let the tide rise a bit and exchange the warmed water with a crystal clear cool Atlantic flush.  I tried to will myself to keep walking, but I just stayed in there and soaked it all in.
My day-glow orange toes in the sand make me happy.

Atlantic on the left, dune on the right.

Me in the middle!  (My butterfly headband told me that it wanted to go out for today's walk.)
I decided that this tidal pool with its rising tide was too perfect to keep to myself.  I trudged through the soft sand, back to the Abaco Inn, and tapped into their wifi to text Shawn to bring the kids asap.

While I waited, I made friends with "Wilson", the coconut.  He bobbed and rolled around, flirting with me.  At times he was close to me and at other times, I had to get up a rescue him from being sucked out to sea.

 Eventually, I tossed him up onto the shore, knowing the kids would want to meet my new friend.  (They were totally not impressed.  Summer bashed the coconut against the rocks, peeled the husk off, and revealed that the milk and meat were rotten!)

While I waited for the family to arrive, other creatures visited and kept me company.
A very friendly little guy...I think he liked my orange toes too!
The natural breakwater created a perfect lagoon to float in.  Every few minutes a whopper wave would spill over the rocks and flood the tidal pool with cool water.

 Finally!  The kids and Shawn arrived!
Miss Stars-n-Stripes

Jaques Cousteau/Steve Irwin

Lagoon Lounge Champion of the World
 I encouraged Nicholas to stack up rocks and build a wall.
He and Summer worked together for about TWO HOURS!  

The wall couldn't stand a chance against the power of the waves!  This was the only shot of it while it was actually "functional" and above sea level.
 During this trip Summer has become an expert at finding tiny things.  In her hand is the tiniest sea urchin ever...about the size of a peppercorn.

Once we couldn't keep ourselves from being knocked about and/or drifting out to sea, we went up to the inn for a dip in the pool, free wifi, snacks, drinks, dinner, and another beautiful sunset!


No comments:

Post a Comment