Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 7: Leaving Niagara and Arriving in Cooperstown

I'm The morning that we were to leave I went to the gym. But, I just wasn't "feeling it".  I couldn't get the bike to operate the way that I wanted it to. There was a kid walking barefoot on a treadmill, a man running for his life (who must have set the speed too high but didn't want to be obvious that he needed to lower it), a guy banging weights...  Blech. So, I took myself on a walk to clear this icky juju surrounding me. 

Our hotel was just catty corner to the American Falls and only one block away. There was almost no one out and about this early. It was gray and misty and perfect for a soothing walk. My intention was to walk up to the Horseshoe Falls.  

However, I enjoyed myself so much that I walked up beyond the Canadian Niagara Power Company, Rankine Station, as best as I can tell from the following map that I found on the Internet. In fact, I probably would have walked even farther but my phone ran out of juice since I didn't charge it overnight.


This is a map that I found along the route. Our hotel was at the bottom of the map, by the Grandview Marketplace. 

This picture gives you an idea of how foggy and misty it was. 

In the very center of this picture you can see an island. To the right of that is a shipwreck and I wanted to see that. So, I walked on. 

Eventually, I made it to a power plant. But the shipwreck was still further. 

Once I was beyond the power plant, the Niagara Falls River was just STEPS away!  No wall or fence!  In fact, the brick pavers that I was walking on were all lumpy and bumpy. If I wanted to...(and I DID), I could have just taken myself to the raging river's edge to take a little dip. 

Then I came to another power plant that was abandoned - Toronto Power Generating Station - and although there was a slim fence around it, the place and nearby grounds was totally unkempt.   There were LOADS of geese, goose poop, and even a dead bird. My phone's battery died and I took that as a sign that I should head back. 

Photo from Wikipedia:

The rest of the day was taken up by our dive to Cooperstown. Once we arrived, we drove around a bit before checking into our hotel. 

Cute place!

Our car:

Later, we walked up the hill and down Main Street for a little shopping and dinner. 

Spooky alley between buildings...

Good bye to Niagara and hello to the Baseball Hall of Fame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment