Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 16, 2024

What My Kayak Means to Me

Do you remember being a kid and being allowed to go out on your bike for the day?  Having the means and the physical strength to make it from my house to another destination.  <Insert chef's kiss.>   For me, sometimes that may have meant that I was dozens of miles from home.  The sense of freedom was visceral.  I literally felt a physical high from knowing that I could do something that seemed almost right before the edge of semi-impossible.  I rode my bike up and down the elevations of DeVou Park and Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky; along the residential and urban areas of Chestnut Hill and Boston, Massachusetts; through Miami Beach from South Beach to Haulover Inlet; and now all parts of the Tampa Bay Area from St. Pete to Brandon.  I loved my time on my bike with desperation previously unknown.  (I was unstoppable except for a flat tire here and there.)

I've traded in my bicycle time from the sunny outdoors to my discotheque in the garage with my Peloton, treadmill, yoga mat, TV, and dueling light displays.  I have fans for when I'm hot and a space heater for when I'm cold.  I never have a flat tire or swallow bugs or get hard to explain bike glove tan lines.  I love my garage time!  In a weird way, my bike (and the whole garage set-up) is like a friend that I get to spend time with.  Sometimes I need a break but then I miss my exercise toys.  I always feel better after spending time with one of them.  However, I do like being in the sunshine.

As easy as just working out in the garage is, I yearn for my out of doors exercise/exploration time too.  And, I have found that I really like being in a kayak!  I had a stand-up paddle board that I loved with my whole heart.  But, I tired of often times having to sit down because my body acted like a sail, making me paddle more/harder/longer and with zero efficiency.  Eventually, I just gave up regular paddle boarding in favor of being in a kayak which meant being seating and using a paddle that was designed to work like a windmill.  However, after getting swamped in boat wake several times, I realized that what I really needed was a sit on top style kayak.  They are heavier but basically unsinkable.  

SUP at Tampa's Long Shoal


After months of research and a rented downtown Tampa test drive, I decided on one particular brand called Hurricane. (Click here to visit the Hurricane website.)  They're made in the USA and due to a unique material are much lighter weight than most other sit on tops of the same length.  I found a local dealer and headed out to get myself my ultimate dream kayak!  And, super bright tangerine orange is my favorite color.  DONE!!!  She's under 35 pounds, fits in my truck, and my new best friend.
The day I bought my very own first kayak.

I am Molly Brown!

My other two best friends.  I apply and reapply often!
The dry oil keeps the salt water "at bay".  Ahahaha!

This was me during the witch invasion of Tarpon Springs.
That was the single greatest moment in a kayak, EVER!

I was determined to not be prissy with my boat.  I wanted to be able to take a scrape from an oyster shell structure and handle being dragged a little in to and/or out of the launch site.  

One day I went out from the Picnic Island boat ramp (Click here for more info about the ramp and fishing pier.) and planned on going to the West Shore Yacht Club area.  Once in the protected cove, my goal was to use my clear umbrella as a sail and scoot across the flats...  Quasi-snorkeling through the grassy patches and into the brilliant bright sandy beds is like heaven on earth and I think I'm the only one who knows how great it is and I'm OK with that!  

The current is kind of strong going through the shipping channel at Port Tampa City and the out-going tide conflicted with the wind direction for a bit of a washing machine effect.  Luckily, I'm Molly Brown, right?  Hmmmm....  I felt like I was sitting really low in the water.  Was the scupper hole blocked by something?  Am I just imagining this?  I feel like this is not normal but not all that abnormal either.  TAWANDA!  (If you know, you know.)

Welp, it turns out a few years of a little scrape here and there added up to a fingernail clipping size hole on the keel.  I hauled my boat up onto a rock near on the northern side of the Standard Concrete peninsula.  Off loading my gear, I was stunned by the massive water weight of my kayak.  I opened the hatch and was shocked to see so much water in the hull.  It wasn't easy, but I propped my boat up and watched the water stream from the tiny grey slit.  (The grey was the actual hull after the white outer shell had been worn down.)

I was on property that I wasn't technically allowed to step on.  I was equidistant from the American Legion Post 138 (and a rescue from Shawn back to my truck) or back to the Picnic Island boat ramp...and another time through the washing machine.  It took 45 minutes for the boat to fill up to this point.  It would take me less than 45 minutes to get back and since my boat was still floating, I knew I could make it to my truck.  I gathered my courage and made it back in 30 minutes, not much water on board, and not too heavy to LIFT.  Thankful but ashamed, I drove home to announce my failure and learn about using a two part marine weld compound.

I still have the fiberglass leftovers.  
But, like the little girl in the meme I describe below,
I threw out all of the other pictures of my work.

Have you ever seen the meme of the little girl sitting on the floor, fiddling with a straw and a to go cup lid until she just freaks out from sheer frustration and exasperation?  She tries a few times to poke the straw into the right spot on the lid and then all of her emotions flow through all of her limbs at once.  She kicks and flings the maddening items off camera...all while she calmly breathes, hands placed on her legs, lips slightly pursed.  Well, that was me.  (Click here for the video.) I fixed my kayak like a pro but then propped it up on the garage wall when it slipped, smacked onto the driveway, and stress cracked THROUGH the entire hull:  bottom, top, and scupper holes.  It was hopeless.  The web of fissures could never be structurally fixed and it was no one's fault but by own for not putting it in a corner or on its side.  

All of that to say...
I have a new kayak now.  The same company, but a foot longer and blue.  The kayak company I used before had this one available in the shop, ready to go.  (Canoe Country Outfitters) So, I did it.  This is my new kayak.  I will hereby be somewhat prissy with how I treat this boat.  I also promise to be more proactive.  I will install a pre-barrier BEFORE it is too late.  And, I will finally name her.  (All of these SUPs and 'yaks but none ever had a proper name.)  
She's longer.  That will help with tracking while paddling with not favorable winds.  
Since I deal with that a lot in our ever changing weather,
that'll be a welcomed respite.

I didn't plan this photo to be the same as the photo above, but it is fun to look at the evolution of my hat.  I collect feathers as signs from loved ones.  The hat has grown over the years and for that I feel so very blessed.  

After my initial shake-down cruise, I ordered a set of protective boat guards from Amazon and got to work learning how to install this stuff.  It turns out, it was super easy!  I'd do it a little differently next time on the keel but it's held up beautifully a month after having placed it.  (Here is the Amazon link to the kit I used.)
My discotheque is now a marine workshop.

Unboxed.

My squirrels were happy to have a little shaded snack.
I was happy for the company.

I set the adhesive strips out in the summer Florida afternoon sun (to help unfurl the tape)
while I watched the QR code video that came with the kit.

Thanks to the video, they suggested to use a hair dryer
to help soften the tape over and around curves.
I added an X-acto, scissors, and two plastic scraper/burnishing tools
to help really get a custom fit.

Measure twice.  Cut once.

Again, measure twice.  Cut once.
I felt like covering the lip around the rear scupper hole was
really necessary since this is the lowest point in
the water and likely to clip oyster beds and linestone.

I impressed myself!

This mid-ship scupper hole is larger and doesn't have the defined lip. 
I used a scrap from the excess length near the keel.
Still, I'm quite pleased with the application.

I kind of expected this first scupper hole to retract once it cooled off.
But, it stayed exactly where it was!

The hard angle of the keep caught me off guard. 
(Mitering is not a strength of mine.)
I don't think this is the prettiest, but it'll protect the exact spot
where I abraded my orange kayak.

The nose presented me with too much tape.  I tried to smooth out the wrinkles 
as well as curve along the bow but there was just too much.  
I actually reheated the tape and with great patience, repositioned it,
and sliced off the excess in a V cut.

While in the garage, I clear coated the sign for our backyard
for my folks' new home!

Setting her out in the sun for a final sun-bake.

One of my babies climbing up my leg while
I worked on the Sun City Center sign.

My heart!

Since I was already sitting at my workbench,
I decided to make a sign for Lina (Nicholas' girlfriend)
and her home town near Moscow.  

After a few trips over a few weeks, the bond is still perfect!

Her name is Annabel Lee.  She's one of my best friends.  We do some cool stuff together, in our "Queendom by the sea"!
I'm getting better at being prissy.  
I LIFTED the kayak and placed her
on her side. 😇

Annabel Lee

It was many and many a year ago, 
   In a kingdom by the sea, 
That a maiden there lived whom you may know 
   By the name of Annabel Lee; 
And this maiden she lived with no other thought 
   Than to love and be loved by me. 

I was a child and she was a child, 
   In this kingdom by the sea, 
But we loved with a love that was more than love— 
   I and my Annabel Lee— 
With a love that the wingèd seraphs of Heaven 
   Coveted her and me. 

And this was the reason that, long ago, 
   In this kingdom by the sea, 
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling 
   My beautiful Annabel Lee; 
So that her highborn kinsmen came 
   And bore her away from me, 
To shut her up in a sepulchre 
   In this kingdom by the sea. 

The angels, not half so happy in Heaven, 
   Went envying her and me— 
Yes!—that was the reason (as all men know, 
   In this kingdom by the sea) 
That the wind came out of the cloud by night, 
   Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee. 

But our love it was stronger by far than the love 
   Of those who were older than we— 
   Of many far wiser than we— 
And neither the angels in Heaven above 
   Nor the demons down under the sea 
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul 
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; 

For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams 
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; 
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes 
   Of the beautiful Annabel Lee; 
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side 
   Of my darling—my darling—my life and my bride, 
   In her sepulchre there by the sea— 
   In her tomb by the sounding sea.
 

Thanks to AI generated art. This is my vision of Annabel Lee in human form. When we are together, "...we live with no other thought than to love and be loved... "   
I love her. 
 
I am her. And, I love her too.





No comments:

Post a Comment